Having curtain bangs means creating D-shaped parts at the top of the curtains by using either a curtain holdback or a curtain tieback. This adds value and style to the room. But when it comes to whether you should style the curtain bangs every day or not, there are three main options according to your situation:
- If you use your curtains frequently, you have to style your curtain bangs whenever you open the curtains.
- If your curtains stay stable, you don’t have to change or style the curtain bangs.
- If you are bored and want minor changes, you can style your curtain bangs whenever possible.
Before getting down to the details of these three options, we should examine what a curtain bang is, how to create it, and more.
What is curtain bang?
Curtain bang is the formation of a D shape at the top of the curtains by using some curtain accessories such as holdback and tieback. No matter which option you choose to stylize your curtain bangs, don’t forget that the fluffier and more correctly fixed your curtain bangs, the better they will look. So along with using either a holdback or a tieback, you may choose to buy a longer and wider curtain to get a much fluffier look at the top. You can also pull the curtain more over the hardware for the best curtain bangs.
What is curtain holdback?
A curtain holdback is a hardware material hanging near a window frame on the wall. It is a u-shaped material usually made of iron, metal, or even wood. There are also knob-shaped holdbacks. They are bigger than u-shaped holdbacks. It doesn’t matter in which shape your holdbacks will be. If you put the curtain behind this curtain accessory, it will gather your curtain and hold it open.
You should place the curtain holdback with an incline of a 30-degree angle if you are using a u-shaped holdback, which is the most recommended and common type of holdback. You can also place the holdback without an incline but a 30-degree angle will help you to create the bang shape you desire. Thanks to this inclination, you will be able to adjust your curtains to look fuller and create a great ‘D’ shape on the upper side of your curtains.
Each holdback should be hung a third up from the curtain’s bottom. For example, if your curtain is 120 inches, you should mark it 40 inches from the bottom. And remove three inches from the window’s edge. These are the standard measurements. You don’t have to follow these criteria. Instead, you can place your holdback at the desired height. However, these standard measurements will give you the best curtain bangs. Because in this way, the upper part of your curtains will look fuller and you will be able to achieve the fluffiness you want. If the holdback is fixed in an upper position, you won’t get the fuller look or if it is fixed in a lower position, you will have a fuller upside but a very short downside, which won’t appeal to the eyes that much.
What is curtain tieback?
Tiebacks are soft curtain accessories made of flexible fabrics, or twisted, satin ropes mostly used with an ornate tassel at the front. Nevertheless, as long as they are flexible and not stiff, they can be made of any material in any style. A tie-back must be flexible and supple enough to bend because it is to loop around and confine all of the fabric in a single curtain. Tiebacks generate a softly curved drape look that is quite appealing and gives the window dressing some elegance and contour. These tiebacks are then attached to a tieback hook or knob bolted into the wall to keep the curtain in one place neatly. Overall, curtain tiebacks are very practical and chic. Using tiebacks correctly results in impressively perfect D-shaped upper parts of the curtains.
Do I have to style my curtain bangs every day?
After sharing some necessary pieces of information about curtain bangs, it is time to answer this main question. As we mentioned before, there is more than one answer. The answer changes according to your situation. So let’s look at all three solutions one by one:
1. If you use your curtains frequently, you have to style your curtain bangs whenever you open the curtains.
When you open curtains that are moved very often, if you want to create a curtain bang, you have to style it again every time you open and close it. This is especially true if you are using a tie-back. That is why it is recommended to use a holdback for curtains that are opened and closed frequently, to make it more practical.
Here are some things you can change in the look of the bangs whenever you open the curtains:
- Change the height of the tieback: By adjusting the height of the tieback, you can make a big difference in your room with a small touch. You don’t always have to abide by the rule of 1/3 (the most recommended holdback or tieback height).
- Change the fullness of the bang: This could be the most effective and easiest option. You just adjust the fullness by pulling the curtain up or down without changing anything about the curtain holder.
- Make the tieback tighter: Tightening the curtains too much can ruin the ironing and shape of the columns. Even so, you can make the tieback just a little bit tighter or less tight according to your preferences.
2. If your curtains stay stable, you don’t have to change or style the curtain bangs.
Curtain bangs will stay the way you left them. They don’t need any additional touch. If you don’t close and open the curtains very often, there are not too many things for you to do. If this applies to you, you don’t need to style your curtain bangs every day.
The other important thing to mention under this title is about holdbacks. If you are using curtain holdbacks, there are few choices after all. They are not movable or adjustable after being fixed to the wall. You can just increase the bang fullness a little bit by pulling the curtain up over the holdback. For that reason, if you’re using holdback, you’re probably in this second case.
The formal dining room curtains, living room curtains, first layers of the double-layered curtains, and kitchen curtains generally stay stable. You don’t need to change their curtain bangs frequently. Bedroom curtains, on the other hand, are the total opposite of them. Bedroom curtains are used very often, and that’s why you may have to style the bedroom curtain bangs nearly every day.
3. If you are bored and want minor changes, you can style your curtain bangs whenever possible.
It is always important to create harmony between the general layout of your room and your curtains. The fluffy curtain bangs may not be compatible with every room style. Of course, the fluffier the better when it comes to curtain bangs in general, but thinner bangs go well with some styles. There is unfortunately no specific rule to determine what goes well with what, it is all up to you. We may only generalize that, the fluffy upper parts can create a warmer aura, look cuter, and be more trendy. The thinner upper parts, on the other hand, can be perceived as more formal.
To style the bangs again, as we said before, you can change the height, fullness, and tightness. Additionally, you can change the tiebacks or holdbacks once in a while. Remember that, even though these curtain accessories are small and won’t be seen that much, you should consider matching the hardware materials with the curtain and the room’s general design.
What are the benefits of curtain bangs?
We can list 4 benefits of curtain bangs:
- Your curtains will stay clean longer: When the windows are open, your curtains might be blown about both inside and outdoors by the wind. You can guarantee that if your curtains come into touch with the outside air, they’ll get soiled and dirty more quickly and easily. If you want to open your windows for fresh air but are afraid that your curtains will get dirty, you should create curtain bangs. Curtain bangs keep the curtains in one place and decrease dirt contact. They also indirectly help you in the sense of curtain cleaning expenses. From now on, you will pay less because your curtains will get dirty less. While using the vacuum cleaner for the floors, you can also see that it will attach less frequently to the curtains with the help of curtain bangs. Your curtains will look more stable and tidy.
- They hold your curtains the way you want: There is no rule that curtain bangs are only created on both sides of windows. This is the fun part. Because by using your creativity, you can create different styles such as in the middle of the window, on both sides of a window, or between two windows. The choice is up to you.
- They add contour: This means your curtains will look fuller and more dimensional. This is another benefit because fluffier curtains mean a more stylish room and home.
- They appeal to the eyes: This is perhaps the most important. Most people ignore both reflecting their style and the practicality of the items they add when arranging their homes. But curtain bangs are not like that. The first two benefits we have mentioned represent the practical side, while the last two represent appealing to the eyes and adding style to your room. We guarantee that everyone who comes to your house will love the curtains with bangs.
Some curtain, tieback, and holdback ideas available on Amazon
In this part, we wanted to share some suitable materials that will give you an idea about the curtain bangs concept.
All the related curtains, tiebacks, and holdbacks below are available on Amazon.
Linen Curtains 84 Inch Natural Linen Semi Sheer Curtains Tab Top Light Filtering Panels Burlap Linen Textured Curtains for Living Room Window Treatment Drapes, Privacy Added, 2 Panels, Angora
If you want to get the best result for your curtain bangs, choosing the best curtain is always important. Today’s trend is to buy eyelet curtains, however, the column shapes of eyelets will lose their actual shape while trying to create bangs, especially if you use curtain tiebacks. So if you are planning to style bangs for eyelet curtains, curtain knobs are recommended. In the end, the safest choice could be tab top curtains like this one available on Amazon. And it is a semi-sheer curtain, so it will be easier to create fuller looks on top of the curtain bangs. Tab top curtains are also practical and very modern looking.
You can see it on Amazon.
Sage Green Curtains 84 Inch Length for Living Room 2 Panels Rod Pocket Drapes Light Filtering Semi Sheer Linen Floor Length Light Green Curtains for Bedroom Dining Room Boho Farmhouse Decor 52×84 Long
Rod pocket curtains are not practical that much. Especially if you open and close such curtains frequently, you know that it often gets stuck and gives you a hard time. But here we are recommending you a rod pocket curtain from Amazon. We know that rod pocket curtains are not modern enough, however, they look cute and vintage, and not every house has a modern style. Curtain bangs will undoubtedly make your life easier if you want to use rod pocket curtains. That’s why we had to share a beautiful rod pocket curtain under this post.
You can see it on Amazon.
MERIVILLE Set of 2 Fleur Window Drapery Medallion Holdbacks, Curtain Tiebacks, Wall Hook, Tassel Holder, Renaissance Gold
There are many options when it comes to holdback. You can find many different holdbacks on Amazon or many other online stores or hardware stores. This cute and antique flower-shaped holdback, we can also call it curtain knob, is a good option available on Amazon.
You can see it on Amazon.
BEL AVENIR Curtain Ropes Tiebacks Tie-Backs, Curtain Handmade Holdbacks with 2 Metal Screw Hooks – White 2 Pack
Tieback options are limitless. It will be hard to choose one. We wanted to share the most common tieback model.
You can see it on Amazon.
Be also aware that, if you don’t buy magnetic or fixed tiebacks (which is not very practical, you will have to get rid of the tieback whenever you want to open the curtains but still they are very creative and modern-looking), tiebacks generally need tieback hooks. The hooks mostly come with the tieback package but you can buy them separately like this one on Amazon.
Curtain bangs are very essential to stylize your curtains and rooms. They have the power to completely change the atmosphere of a room. Curtain bangs are created by using a curtain accessory. You can create the bangs with either a curtain tieback or a curtain holdback. You can choose which one to buy according to your curtain, the room style, and most importantly your desire. Curtain bangs can be changed but is this have to be done every day? In general, it can be answered as no. Nevertheless, according to your situation, the answer may change. There are three main situations: if you use your curtains frequently, you have to style your curtain bangs whenever you open the curtains; if your curtains stay stable, you don’t have to change or style the curtain bangs; if you are bored and want minor changes, you can style your curtain bangs whenever possible. You should find the answer after determining which situation you are in.