Every house needs curtains to block out the sunlight, for privacy, and to sleep better. You will not bear living between boring windows without any privacy and security. Curtains will make your room look finished, and they will help you to cherish your time in your own house. Adding a gorgeous finishing touch to your room by hanging curtains is not that complicated at all. You just need to know some basic steps to install your curtains. If you want to change the atmosphere of your home and install curtains, then, this detailed step-by-step guide will help you to figure it out.
Hang curtains! They make a room seem finished. Think of them as the lipstick of decorating.Peter Dunham, English-born interior designer
Curtain are soft furnishings that are materials hanging from the top to form a barrier, usually used in moveable sideways along a rail and generally found as one of a pair at a window. Curtains need to be hung from above a window. So the question is how to hang the curtains? We will help you to find out which tools you need while hanging the curtains, how to choose the best curtains for your house or for your room, which type of curtain is good for which room, how to get the measurements, and, of course, what to do to hang the curtains. So here are the 8 steps you need to know to be able to hang your curtains.
Step 1. Determine in which room you will use the curtains
Even if it looks very easy, this first step may be the most important one. Because every type of curtain or fabric or color doesn’t go well with each room. So you should determine for which room you need to hang the curtains. This decision will help you to choose the best type of curtain for your room in the fourth step, later on. For example, for the living room, more earthy tones are recommended, while for a bedroom, lighter tones are recommended.
You should also consider the climate in your area. For example, if you live in a cold climate, then, you should choose to use heavier fabrics or some thermal curtains that block the cold. But if you live in a warmer climate, then, sheer or lighter fabrics are recommended like linen, silk, or, maybe, cotton. So you should consider the climate and sunlight level of your neighborhood, too. After that, you can start to do the next step.
Determining the room will be very important in the third step when you will start to get the measurements for your curtain and the rod. Because most of the professionals recommend people to hang longer curtains to create an illusion that will make your room seem spacious and fresh. But you cannot use long curtains in each room. For example, you should never use long curtains in bathrooms because of cleaning issues, or in kitchens because of some security issues (in the kitchen, there is a stove and so long curtains can cause a fire). You should consider buying shorter curtains such as cafe curtains. Cafe curtains are shorter curtains that are 24 to 35 inches, and they are suitable for attics, bathrooms, and, of course, kitchens.
After deciding the room you will hang the curtains, the next step is to get the tools you will need for the curtain installation.
Step 2. Get the tools you need
After deciding on the room, you need to gather the tools to hang your curtains to this specific area. You can find those tools in any hardware store in your neighborhood or any website such as Amazon and Alibaba. The needed tools are:
- Ladder (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Tape measure or ruler (but the tape measure is recommended) (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Pencil and paper (to note down the measurements)
- Curtain rod and brackets
- Drill (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Wall anchor (if needed / optional) (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Level (to balance the rod) (to buy one, see Amazon)
Some of those tools are dangerous to use such as drills and ladders. So if you are new to this work, we recommend you get help from a professional or an experienced person. But if you believe in yourself, you can definitely hang your curtains perfectly.
Step 3. Measure the area
This could be the most crucial part of the process of hanging curtains. This step will help you to buy the correct curtains and rods. While measuring the area (the wall and window where we will hang the curtain), it is important to be more attentive. In this step, you will need a ladder, tape measure, pencil, and paper. Put the ladder near the window. Then get the tape measure, pencil, and paper. And climb the ladder. Now, you will get the measurements both for the curtain’s width and length and for the rod’s length.
Measure the width of your window and then, add 8 to 12 inches to the length of the rod. The width of each curtain piece should be at least as broad as the width of your window. This makes the twice of your window broad. So while buying the curtains, you should buy a curtain as wide as your window’s twice the size.
To determine the length of the curtains, measure from the location where you wish to hang the rod (typically 4 to 6 inches above the window, but a minimum of 2 inches is a must) to the bottom.
If you want the curtains to pool, add some extra length to the measurement. If your curtains are longer, then, it will change your room a lot. It is a recommended trick to add luxury to your house and to make your room stylish. This is called a ‘puddle size curtain’. It is generally used for heavy or velvet or silk curtains. There are two other common sizes for your curtains, too. These are ‘float size’ (which is a little bit above the floor. But there should be only 1 inch between the bottom panel and the ground.) and ‘kiss size’ (which skims the floor and provides your room a more glossy look). Whichever technique you want to use for your room, you should measure according to the chosen size. But never use shorter curtains than these ones. Because the shorter the curtains will make your room look smaller and narrower.
If your house is a little bit small and dark, then, you should try hanging your curtains much closer to the ceiling of your room. This will create the illusion of more ceiling height, and your room will be thought of as a more spacious place. So, while measuring the area of the curtain rod, you should start measuring from a higher point.
Now, you are ready to buy your curtains and curtain rods.
Step 4. Choose the curtain
The fourth step is choosing the most suitable curtain for your room. First of all, you should consider the measurements that you took in the previous step. If you cannot find any curtain in the exact length, it is important to choose a little bit longer than the actual measurements. Never choose the shorter one. After buying it, you can easily want your tailor to cut the long curtain according to the exact length.
The first thing to consider while buying a curtain is measurements. On the other hand, the second thing is deciding the fabric and the type of curtain. It is important to choose a type that is suitable for your room and your room’s design and to choose a color that can match other furniture or accessories. Here are some curtain types and little information about them:
- Eyelet Curtains: The most frequent curtain style is eyelet curtains. With their basic design, they have a very modern aspect and offer the space a very relaxed and laid-back vibe. They are usually made of cotton or polyester. These curtains are easy to use and ideal for usage in a patio or a bedroom. (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Pleated Curtains: They are classic-style curtains. Some may think them old-fashioned, but if you are able to use them in a suitable room and area, they can make your home warmer and even stylish. They are made of thicker fabrics. They are suitable for guest rooms, bedrooms, dining hall, and living room. (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Sheer Curtains: They are light and airy, but delicate curtains. They are also very stylish. They are nearly transparent but they won’t affect privacy that much. Still, they are most suitable for living rooms, or they can be used alongside a thicker curtain in a bedroom. If you are planning to use two curtains, then, you are going to need to buy a double rod. So consider it carefully. (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Thermal Curtains: They are the thickest and heaviest curtains among the other types. They can be used as a home cooler. They are energy savers. If you live in a cold environment, they are very profitable and suitable for your house. They can be used in bedrooms and lounges. (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Rod Pocket Curtains: Because rod pocket curtains are often made of lightweight fabric, you can add a second layer to provide additional sun protection. Drawing these curtains is difficult since the pocket fits over the rod. Because of that reason, they’re best used in guest bedrooms and guest lounges. If you are interested in sewing your own curtain, then, this is the best style you can sew. It is easy to sew. And you can choose the fabric you want. So it doesn’t have to be a sheer-like-curtain. (to buy one, see Amazon)
- Cafe Curtains: Cafe curtains are placed halfway across the window, either at the top or bottom. Generally, they are made to order to fit the length of the window’s existing divider line. Cartridge pleats are common on these curtains, giving them a relaxed yet inviting feel. To limit light and provide seclusion, these curtains are composed of opaque textiles. Cafe curtains can be used in bathrooms, kitchens, attic rooms, and windows that face the garden. They are much shorter than the other types of curtains. So most of the measurements we have given to you, are not that applicable for cafe curtains. You should get the special measurements around the window to buy them. (to buy one, see Amazon)
After considering those two important things (length and type), the third and last thing is, of course, the budget. You should consider your budget when buying a curtain. You should compare the prices of the same curtain on other websites or stores, before buying it.
Now, you bought the curtains. So the next step is choosing the most suitable rod for your curtains.
Step 5. Choose the curtain rod
A curtain rod, also known as a curtain rail, curtain pole, or traverse rod, is a device that suspends curtains, generally above windows or along the margins of showers or bathtubs, although it can be used anywhere curtains are needed. Rods are very important. Because they will carry your curtain. They must be sturdy and well-attached. Rods should be 6 to 12 inches wider than your window. So your curtains don’t cover any of your views when they are open. Single rods allow you to hang just a curtain or sheer panels. On the other hand, double rods allow you to hang both a curtain and sheer panels. So you should decide on whether you will use a single panel or a double panel. (to buy one, see Amazon)
Match the finish of your hardware to the color of your curtain. A matte finish, for example, will look great with warmer-colored drapes. Use a double rod to hang a set of opaque panels atop transparent panels if you want the effect of layered window coverings. This allows you to be more creative with color and pattern combinations, as well as have greater control over privacy and light.
So when choosing your curtain rod, you should consider the measurements and the color that will match the curtains. After buying the rod, the next step is installing its brackets and attaching the rod to the top of the brackets.
Step 6. Mark the bracket spots and install the brackets
To ensure that your rods won’t be crooked, remember that your brackets should be 4 to 6 inches above the window frame and 3 to 6 inches outside the frame on each side (to buy curtain rod brackets, see Amazon). Attach the brackets to the wall by using a drill and for a safer result use the wall anchors (optional). If your rod is longer than 4 feet, add a third bracket in the center to avoid having your rod bow in the middle. In this step, we recommend you use an electric drill instead of a screwdriver. Because the drill will fix the brackets more firmly. And it will make everything easier, safer, and faster.
Step 7. Install the curtain rod
Put the rod up through the brackets. Thread the rod through the grommets or eye-holes if your curtains have big grommets or eye-holes. Otherwise, use curtain rings or clips to secure the panels to the pole.
Then, use a level placing it on the top of the rod to check that everything is even and balanced. If everything is great, then, that means you can hang your curtains on.
Step 8. Hang the curtain
We are in the last step. Before talking about this last step, we want to share some tips with you. We recommend you do some basic things to your curtains for a real fresh start. Firstly, you can wash your curtains according to their cleaning instructions. Also know that some certain materials, such as linen and cotton, must be dry cleaned. Or they will be shrunk. If you will use a washing machine, wash your curtains alone. Never use tumble dry. It will damage your curtains. But choose to let them dry in the open air. After they get dry, you may want to iron them. This is not a must, but you should be very careful while ironing them. They can get burned too easily. Curtains, especially tulles and sheer curtains, are very fragile. Ironed curtains will make them look more straight and cleaner when you hang them to the wall.
If everything has gone according to the plan and the steps, you can put the ladder near the window to climb it and hang the curtain. You should put the rings one by one through the curtain rod. And look at it afar to see whether it matches the room and the furniture.
What are the benefits of curtains?
Well, we learned how to hang a curtain. But there is another question: Why should we use curtains or what are the benefits of them? The common benefits are light management, privacy, window insulation, multipurpose use, and, of course, style.
- Light Management: Whether it’s merely decreasing glare in your living room or entirely shutting out light in your bedroom, most rooms in your house require some sort of light management. Consider thicker materials in darker hues for bedroom drapes to keep as much light out as possible so you can sleep better. If you need curtains for your living room or home office, choose a sheer curtain that will soften the light and prevent glares off your screens while still allowing you to enjoy natural light.
- Privacy: Thicker materials in dark hues, in addition to giving more light control, also give more seclusion, making them ideal for bedrooms. Living rooms may not require as much seclusion, which is why transparent curtains work so effectively.
- Window Insulation: All window coverings contribute some insulation to your windows, but the thickness of the fabric determines how much insulation is added to your windows. Velvet, for example, is a thicker, heavier fabric that will give the maximum insulation and help you make your house more comfortable while lowering your energy expenditures. While helping you with the thermal insulation of your house, curtains will also help you with noise insulation. They will reduce the outside voices.
- Multipurpose Use: Don’t think of curtains just as barriers in front of windows. They are more than that. You can use curtains for very different purposes in your home. For example, a curtain can be used as a wall. We call it ‘room divider.’ You can opt for thick and heavy curtains for this purpose. On the other hand, they can be used as a door. You can hang them in doorways to cover the area. A curtain can also be a cabinet door. It will cover your dresses and your belongings in a stylish way.
- Style: Window treatments enhance the appearance of your property. They’re a fashion statement in and of themselves, and they can totally transform the appearance and feel of a space. Window coverings are one of the simplest methods to change up your design if you’re trying to improve your house’s aura.
The Last Words
Hanging curtains is not hard at all. You just need to know the right steps. In this guide, we covered everything in a clear way in just 8 steps. First of all, you should determine in which room you will use the curtains. Then, get the tools you need, like paper, pencil, drill, curtain, rod and so on. After that, you should measure the area. The next steps are choosing the curtain and the curtain rod. And lastly, you should install the brackets and rod. And now you can hang your brilliant curtains.
If you are fed up with living between the boring, bare windows of your room, then, it is time to apply these 8 steps to start a fresh life. Everyone can hang curtains easily just with the help of a correct guide and the right steps.